Office of Faith Community Health Promotion
Congregation - University partnerships can have a profound impact on the health of our neighborhoods! Heading link
The Office of Faith and Community Health (OFCH) is a program that establishes mutually supportive and beneficial relationships between the University and with the diverse and rich faith community of the Chicago Metropolitan Area. Communities of faith possess unique strengths and capacities that can contribute to community health and well-being.
OFCH’s mission is to engage UIC students, faculty and staff in the development of long-term, meaningful partnerships with communities of faith that contribute to neighborhood revitalization and measurable improvements in community health outcomes.
OFCH aims to identify opportunities to work collaboratively with communities of faith congregations to address health holistically and improve community health and wellness. We act locally and collaborate nationally and internationally to identify best practices in this emerging area of work.
The Center for Faith and Community Health Transformation (The Center) is a key partner in our work. The Center is virtual and a collaborative between OFCH and Advocate Health Care’s Office of Congregational Health Partnerships (www.faithhealthtransformation.org).
What do we do?
Provide monthly health information that congregations can share with their members
Project development and technical support from UIC faculty, staff and students
- Congregational/Communities of Faith health assessments
- Faith and Public Health Collaborative Leadership Development
- Health ministry design and development Testimonials
- UIC resources to enhance and support your community projects
- Disseminate timely, relevant research and best practices
- Supporting young African American fathers in your congregation
Promote healthy eating practices in congregations
From helping your kitchen ministry make small, yet healthy adjustments to their favorite dishes, to teaching label reading and how to shop on a budget, our trained nutrition peer educators are ready to provide high quality nutrition education and disease prevention services in your congregation.
OFCH is constantly locating and cultivating relationships with congregations/communities of faith in the vicinity of UIC.
- The Center for Faith and Community Health Transformation: The Center for Faith and Health
- Chicago Department of Public Health: www.cityofchicago.org/health
- Advocate Health System: http://www.advocatehealth.com/
Communication Keep up with the latest health information for your congregation.