Mission and Operating Principles
Mission and Operating Principles
The UIC Office of Community Engagement and Neighborhood Health Partnerships (OCEAN-HP) fosters partnerships to bring together the expertise, resources and wisdom from the community with that of the university to strengthen the quality of life for all beneficiaries. The OCEAN-HP mission is to promote health equity, actively participate in the revitalization of historically underserved communities, and build leadership capacity through service, education, and research.
- The mission of the UIC Office of Community Engagement And Neighborhood Health Partnerships (OCEAN-HP) is derived from the mission of urban engagement, the Great Cities Commitment at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC), the largest public urban university in Chicago.
- OCEAN-HP is a major vehicle through which the University fulfills the mission of the Great Cities Commitment with particular emphasis on the engagement of students, faculty and staff in the nearby communities. Through a wide range of activities in multiple disciplines (or areas of interest), OCEAN-HP enlivens the mission of the University by facilitating mutually beneficial partnerships in research, education and service.
- UIC is not simply ” located in an urban community.” UIC is an engaged neighbor and partner with all responsibilities and sentiments associated with that designation. OCEAN-HP plays a key role in fulfilling responsibilities, evaluating performance and continuously aligning university actions to reflect its commitment to being a contributing neighbor in its community.
- OCEAN-HP acknowledges the value of life experience and local expertise and in its activities and programs and seeks partnerships with communities as citizens or community scholars.
- OCEAN-HP brings together faculty and community scholars in mutually beneficial relationships that serve as the engagement interface for supporting, initiating, coordinating and celebrating community and University partnerships.
- OCEAN-HP encourages and sustains a supportive environment for productive dialogue and through active intervention addresses communication barriers inherent in diverse community, racioethnic and institutional cultures.
- OCEAN-HP sustains a responsive scope of involvement in geographically defined, and yet fluid boundaries.
- The agenda of OCEAN-HP the University’s historical tripartite approach of service, education and research into a new paradigm that does not separate these three activities into discrete functions, but blends them into a dynamic, responsive approach of engaged, interdisciplinary and high impact learning partnerships between the university and the community.
- Through its campus wide approach OCEAN-HP encourages both interdisciplinary and collaborative work by bringing faculty together across all colleges. OCEAN-HP serves as an advisor and facilitator to faculty engaged in partnership development, providing practical insight into methods of community entry, relationship development, partnership maintenance and mutually beneficial collaboration.
- OCEAN-HP exists to create, nurture and sustain long-term community/university relationships. For the University, OCEAN-HP maintains a consistent presence in the community. For the community, OCEAN-HP facilitates direct community access to information and resources.